Founded in 1977 by Mme Otten, L'Ecole des Petits first started in a small Church hall in Chelsea.
In 1991, the school relocated to a refurbished Victorian building in the heart of Fulham, previously a community centre in the 1930s. (The Princess Beatrice Social Centre, inaugurated by the Duchess of York in 1931). The school retains the original plaque commemorating this on one of its walls.
During the 1950s, the building became an English School of Dance. It then remained empty until L'Ecole des Petits moved there, at which point it underwent a complete refurbishment. The school in Fulham opened in September 1991 welcoming 60 pupils.